Megann's Vanilla Bean & Gingerbread Cookies
Contributed by Megann's Kitchen
- Main ingredient biscuits and cookies
- Region American
- Difficulty Easy
- Prep time 35
- Cook time 10-12
- Serves 24
- Serving size small cookie cutters
- Dining Occasions dessert, finger food, party, snacks
- Events & Seasons Birthday, Christmas, Summer, Winter
:: I have made this recipe for every single birthday that my son has had. Gingerbread Cookies tend to be a favourite & so easy to decorate for a party or even to make for snacks on the run - follow onto Megann's Kitchen site at megannskitchen.blogspot.com.au for more detail & step by step images + t
Meg’s Vanilla Bean & Gingerbread Cookies
- 125g butter, softened
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup golden syrup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste or seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 2 cups plain flour
- ⅓ cup self raising flour
- 1 Tbs ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Prepare 3 cookie trays with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter, sugar, vanilla & golden syrup together until pale & creamy. Add the egg gradually & beat until combined. Add the flours, ginger spices, bircarb soda & place your mixer on slow until just combined.
- Turn out onto a floured surface & knead until smooth, for about 1-2 minutes.
- Roll out approximately a third of the dough on baking paper until about 5mm (1/4 inch) thick. Place into the freezer for 10 minutes to chill, or until firm enough to cut.
- Lift the chilled gingerbread off the tray & press out your shapes. Place them onto a prepared cookie tray with baking paper.
- Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
:: For Christmas I add a little bit of Christmas with my spices: such as Cinnamon, Nutmeg or Allspice. eg- 1½ tsp dried ginger & ½ tsp of mixed Christmas spice for this mixture quantity ::
Meg's Basic Royal Icing
- 1 egg white, lightly whisked
- 2 cups (320g) pure icing sugar, sifted
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- Place the egg white in a small bowl & beat with electric mixer/beaters until well aerated.
- Gradually adding the icing sugar ½ a cup at a time, mixing well between each addition. Add the lemon juice & any flavourings + any additional water, stirring until a thick & creamy consistency.
- Add desired colours.
- Fit a piping bag with a No. 4 plain nozzle, or snip the end off a disposable plastic piping bag. Spoon the icing in & pipe icing onto each gingerbread figure and decorate.
- Set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow the icing to set.
- CHOCOLATE ICING: leave out the lemon juice & add 1 Tbs cocoa powder.
- VANILLA ICING: add 1tsp-2tsp vanilla extract.
:: If wanting to create a layered effect of colours & flavours, allow the icing to set before adding different layers of icing on top. If not properly dry, the colour will bleed into the other or emerge into other icings ::
:: For more essential top Megann's Kitchen advice, follow onto the Megann's Kitchen web site at megannskitchen.blogspot.com.au ::