What’s in season during Autumn
As the weather changes, so do the fruits and vegetables in the produce aisle. Cooler weather signals the abundance of favourites like pumpkin, apples and pears, but what other fruits and vegetables are available? Here’s a list of some popular autumn fruits and vegetables which are in all their seasonal glory, plus lots of seasonal recipe ideas like toasty banana bread, mushroom ragu on a creamy bed of polenta, cheesy cauliflower mac and cheese and more!
- Finger limes
- Navel oranges
- Custard apples
- Imperial mandarins
- Bok choy
- Brussel sprouts from April
Why it's better to buy seasonal produce
Choosing in season fruits and vegetables is a great idea for a few reasons.
- It's cheaper - when fruit and vegetables are in season, they're abundant. This means they're at better prices and you can get some great bargains.
- It's more nutritious - seasonal fruit and vegetables are allowed to mature at optimum conditions and are fresher and therefore have more vitamins and antioxidants.
- It supports local suppliers - supporting local businesses is always a good idea.
- It's more sustainable - buying local, seasonal produce means that it hasn't had to travel as far or be kept under special conditions for a long time.
Get lots of ideas for using seasonal autumn produce with the recipes below, or check out this collection of Autumn Recipes.