:: This particular lasagne recipe is perfect for friends in need. It would be the perfect new mother’s comfort food after a baby or full of nutrition & energy for someone recovering from hospital. It also freezes VERY well for emergency meals. Enjoy my cheesy hidden vegetable version!
Recipe Shopping List
Beef & Vegetable Lasagne
Beef & Vegetable Lasagne
- Heat oil in a deep dish saucepan & add the diced onion. Sauté over a low heat, stirring until just transparent & smelling fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic & cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Increase the heat & add the beef mince, browning & breaking it up to a fine mince as you go. Add the carrot, zucchini & mushrooms & cook until soft, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the red wine & reduce for 3 minutes. Add beef stock & continue to cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes & also stir through the passata, season, cover, and simmer gently 30-45 minutes. Keep an eye on your moisture levels & check on it, stirring every 10 minutes or so. Add parsley & season.
- Follow Bechamel Sauce Recipe (below) & Assembly + Cooking Instructions (in Tips).
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat & stir in the flour. It should be a wet, sloppy dough consistency
- Stir for about 2-3 minutes or until you get the fragrance of cookies from the flour. Don't let it change colour too much
- Remove from stovetop, gradually whisk in milk until it thickens, add more milk & whisk until it re-thickens. Return to low heat.
- Keep gradually adding the milk while whisking until you have a smooth, thick creamy mixture. Gradually add handfuls of cheese & when the cheese melts, add more. I like to taste the "cheesiness" of my sauce to see if I need to add more. Season with salt & white pepper.
Tips & Hints:
- Megann's Kitchen Notes :: Assembly - Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Pre-prepare a large lasagne dish by lightly greasing it with butter. Place approx ¾ cup of the meat sauce on the base of the dish. Alternate between layers of lasagne sheets, meat sauce, cheese sauce & baby spinach, finishing with a cheese & spinach layer. Your dish should take 4-5 layers. Sprinkle with cheese & bake for 45-50 minutes or until cooked through. Rest for at least 10-15 minutes before serving. :: You can prepare & assemble your lasagne up to a day in advance as the flavours that are released through the pasta are exceptional! :: Resting your Lasagne allows excess moisture to seep into the pasta sheets so it holds form to avoid serving a sloppy mess. :: Any leftover sauce, I freeze for toddler meals.