Roasting your own chestnuts at home in the oven is a great way to prepare them. This is actually the most common cooking method and you can acehive the richness in flavour that's similar to using an open fire.
To roast chestnuts in the oven, place them on a large baking tray and ensure they are not overcrowded the following the cooking steps below
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced)
- Cut shallow cross into the flat side of each chestnut shell
- Place prepared chestnuts onto a baking tray and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the shells split open
- Once cooked, remove chestnuts from the heat
- While chestnuts are still warm, quickly peel off the outer brown shell and remove the papery thin skin underneath