Recipe Shopping List
Basic Tomato Sauce and Great Ways to Use It
Basic Tomato Sauce
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 8-10 minutes until very soft
- Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in tomato paste. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add tomatoes and sugar. Using a wooden spoon, break up the whole tomatoes by pressing tomatoes against the side of the pan.
- Gently simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, for 30-35 minutes until thick. Season to taste and serve
- Alternatively, spoon the sauce into airtight containers and refrigerate for 1 week or freeze until required
Tips & Hints:
- Use within 3 months. Once open store in the fridge. Great serving ideas include:
- Serve over cooked pasta with fresh basil leaves and parmesan cheese
- Spoon onto pizza bases before adding your favourite toppings
- Toss flaked canned tuna, olives and rocket leaves through the sauce and serve with penne