Recipe Shopping List
Cheese, Bacon and Chive Butter Mash
- Wash and peel potatoes and cut into large chunks. Place in a medium saucepan and just cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 20-25 minutes or until fork tender
- Drain potatoes and return to the dry pan. Shake pan occasionally to remove excess moisture. Mash the potatoes and stir in ¾ of the butter
- Add milk, chives, sour cream, bacon and cheese. Stir well to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with remaining cubes of butter
Tips & Hints:
- Choose a potato that’s good for mashing, such as Sebago or Desiree.
- Removing excess moisture from the potatoes is essential for a creamy mash. Use the residual heat from your cooking pot to dry out any remaining water from the drained potatoes. Shaking the pan occasionally encourages extra release of built up steam.
- For an extra silky mash, use a potato ricer or drum sieve to mash the potatoes. Both available from good kitchen stores.
- Store prepared mashed potatoes in a refrigerator in a sealed container for 2-3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a pan over low heat. You may need to add a few tablespoons of milk and butter to restore the smooth texture.
More Sides recipes from Western Star
No reviews for this recipe yet.