Recipe Shopping List
Chestnut and Mushroom Soup
- Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan-forced). Cut a shallow cross into the flat side of each chestnut shell
- Place prepared chestnuts onto a baking tray and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the shells split open
- Once cooked, remove chestnuts from the heat and wrap in a clean tea towel for 5 to 10 minutes. While chestnuts are still warm, quickly peel off the outer brown shell and remove the papery thin skin underneath
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and cook, stirring often, for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for 3 minutes until softening. Stir in chestnuts and stock, cover and bring to the boil
- Reduce heat and gently simmer, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes or until chestnuts are soft. Remove from heat
- Using a hand blender, blend soup until smooth. Simmer over low heat until hot. Season to taste. Ladle into serving bowls. Drizzle with cream or top with a dollop of yoghurt and serve. Top with pan-fried sliced chestnuts for a crunchy garnish, if desired
Tips & Hints:
- This soup thickens on standing, if necessary, add extra stock.
No reviews for this recipe yet.