How do you make beef lasagne?
The cooking techniques for making beef lasagne are easy, but between simmering the Bolognese, cooking up the béchamel and layering each ingredient, it can take the better part of the day to make your it at home – and it’s so worth it! This beef lasagne recipe by the team at Perfect Italiano always gets rave reviews. Here’s what to expect.
How to make lasagne
- Bolognese: Start by making the beef Bolognese. This base sauce of mince, tomatoes and aromatics needs to be simmered together for at least an hour to create a beautifully rich flavour and reduce it into a thick red sauce. You can use different types of mince too. Try pork, chicken and veal or a mix of different meats such as pork and beef. You can make and refrigerate the Bolognese up to three days ahead of time, or freeze it for up to three months.
- Béchamel: Next make the béchamel or white sauce. The best recipe for béchamel infuses the milk with aromatics including onions and herbs for a better flavour. Add Perfect Italiano Parmesan to make it an ultra tasty cheese sauce. You can make and refrigerate the béchamel up to five days ahead.
- Lasagne sheets: If you want to go the full mile, make your own lasagne sheets using this pasta recipe. Roll out the pasta as thin as possible then cut into sheets. Otherwise, store-bought fresh or dry pasta sheets will work just as well.
- How to assemble beef lasagne: Start with béchamel on the bottom to stop the pasta from sticking to the pan. Then lay down pasta sheets, followed by Bolognese and more béchamel. Layer pasta, Bolognese and béchamel until you’re out of ingredients, finishing with béchamel on the top. Sprinkle with Perfect Italiano Mozzarella and it’s ready to bake!
- Baking the lasagne: Bake in a preheated 180°C oven for 40-60 minutes. Cooking times will depend on whether you have used fresh or dried lasagne sheets and how many layers you have. Cover the top with foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove and continue cooking uncovered until top is golden and lasagne is cooked through. To check the lasagne is cooked, push the tip of a knife into the centre. If it goes through all the layers without any resistance, it's cooked.
- Serving the lasagne: You've put so much love and care into your lasagne, so don't let it fall apart at the last step! Always allow it to stand on the bench for at least 10 minutes uncovered after cooking. This will make it easier to cut, will help to stop the layers from falling apart, and reduces the chances of burning the roof of your mouth (we've all been there). While waiting for the lasagne to rest, whip up a quick green salad. Use a sharp knife to slice, and dig through the drawers to find a wide spatula to lift the lasagne.
That's it! Buon appetito! Watch and learn how to make lasagne with the video below, and check out the full beef lasagne recipe thanks to Perfect Italiano.
More recipes with Bolognese
Bolognese is so versatile that it's worth making a double batch and freezing half for another time. Check out some other recipes below that you can make with bolognese.
You can create your own personalised cookbooks with your own recipes that you can easily print and share. Log in to start collecting and creating, or sign up to get started.
If you have leftover or frozen Bolognese on hand, this pasta bake is as easy and quick as it gets. The cheese in the pasta bake turns velvety and delicious, and the cheese on top turns crispy and golden.
With a couple of shortcuts, like swapping the béchamel for a creamy ricotta sauce and using leftover bolognese, you can have this cheat's lasagne in just 40 minutes.
More Tips & Advice from Perfect Italiano
Essential Mexican Sides
Take your Mexican meals to another level with these easy 4 condiment recipes.
10 fun ideas to use up leftover tortillas
These 10 ways to use up flour tortillas mean that you'll never have leftovers that go to waste. Get great tortilla recipe ideas, from a full meal of chicken enchiladas to quick and easy tortilla chips.
Cooking with Parmesan
Practical tips on incorporating Parmesan cheese into everyday recipes. From pasta to salads, these easy-to-follow ideas and recipes will add that extra flavour to your meals that everyone will love.