How to make perfect roast potatoes with crispy edges and tender interiors. Plus, the easiest way to peel potatoes and what to eat with roast potatoes.
Perfect Crispy Roast Potatoes
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour 10 mins
1kg starchy potatoes such as Nicola or Nadine variety, washed
Fresh garlic cloves unpeeled
1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced)
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil over high heat. Add unpeeled potatoes and gently boil for approx. 20-25 minutes or until soft. Potatoes are ready when they can be easily pierced with a knife
- Plunge cooked potatoes in a large bowl of iced water. When cool enough to handle, easily peel off potato skins using your hands (as shown in video)
- Cut peeled potatoes in half then using a fork, fluff them by grating incisions lengthways
- Spread potatoes over a large baking sheet lined with baking paper. Drizzle potatoes with olive oil, add garlic cloves and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper
- Bake for approx. 45 minutes or until potatoes are golden and crisp
Save the recipe to your myfoodbook account: Perfect Crispy Roast Potatoes
Why should you par boil potatoes before roasting?
The most important tip for creating those amazing crispy bits on roast potatoes is to boil them first. You almost want to feel as if you’ve taken the potatoes “too far” and by this we mean you want the starchy outer of the potato to become quite fluffy. These soft outer edges are what will crisp up perfectly when baked, giving you that fabulous crunchy coating.
Our easy potato peeling hack
You may never peel potatoes the old-fashioned again after watching this cooking tip. Simply par-boil the potatoes with the skin until soft. You may even see the skins just starting to come away on their own. Test by piercing with the tip of a knife to be sure they’re soft, then plunge the potatoes straight into iced water so you can handle them quickly and safely. Then simply use your hands to push away the skins. They will easily fall away and help create some of the fluffy texture you want.
How to make famous crispy roast potatoes
As seen in the video, this tip is the one that will teach you how to achieve perfectly crisp spuds. Once cooked and peeled, cut each whole potato in half, then lay it on it’s flat side. Fluff each potato by dragging a fork across its surface in lengthways strokes. Drizzle with olive oil, add a wedge of garlic and a pinch of sea salt and pepper, then bake until golden and crisp.
Choosing the right potato
You need to select a starchy potato variety in order to achieve the desired buttery and creamy flesh for perfect potatoes. Varieties like the Nadine or Nicola potato are great choices for roasting. See our full guide for choosing the right potato variety.
Now that you know how to make perfect, crispy roast potatoes we’re sure you’ll want to enjoy them alongside something wonderful, below are recipes that would pair perfectly with your crunchy roast potatoes.