Rice is a notoriously tough grain to cook in the slow cooker, but we will have you nailing the perfect rice to water ratio and whipping up batches ready for meal prep and family dinners in no time.
Can I cook rice in a slow cooker?
Short answer, yes! It is a fine science, much like cooking pasta in the slow cooker, but a totally achievable one with our simple steps.
- Rinse rice in a colander until the water runs clear
- Always follow the perfect rice to water ratio: For every 1 cup of rice, add 1.5 cups of water
- Cook on Low for 2 hours or until tender
Can I cook brown rice in the slow cooker?
Brown rice is a fantastic substitute for white rice, packed with extra fibre to really enhance your winter warmer dinners. However it can be even trickier to perfect than its pale counterpart, and sticking to the brown rice to water ratio is vital. For fluffy brown rice every time, follow these steps:
- Rinse rice thoroughly until the water runs clear
- Always follow the brown rice to water ratio: For every 1 cup of brown rice, add 2 cups of water
- Cook on low for 2 ½ hours or until tender
Brown rice can be very fickle, so don't be afraid to give it a taste test and add a little extra water and cook for an extra half hour if needed.
When do I add rice to the slow cooker?
One-pot dishes are fantastic time savers, and you can cook the meat, rice and vegetables all together in the slow cooker. The key is making sure there is enough liquid for the rice to absorb. If the recipe's sauce doesn’t provide enough:
- For white rice add 1 - 1½ cups of boiling water
- For brown rice, add 1½ - 2 cups of boiling water
- Add rice (and extra boiling water) in the last 2 hours of cooking when on Low and 1 hour on High.
- Always add at least an extra half hour for brown rice, so you don’t end up with crunchy, chewy rice in your tasty dish!
Meal prep staple
Once you have mastered the fine science that is the rice to water ratio, batch cooking and freezing rice is an absolute meal prep winner. Rice lasts up to 3 months in the freezer, ready to thaw and add to any of our delicious and easy one-pot recipes like Baked Paella-Style Rice with Eggs
Recipes to serve with slow cooker rice
Make these recipes to pair with your fluffy slow cooker rice. Curries, salads, stirfrys; rice goes with just about anything and we have a huge range of delicious options to whip up for a hearty family dinner.
Don't forget that you can save recipes to your own personalised ecookbooks using your free myfoodbook account
. Login above to save your recipes, or if you don't have an account yet you can sign up here