Recipe Shopping List
Mixed Berry and Chocolate Dessert Cake with Berry Compote
- Grease and line a 23cm spring-form pan with baking paper. Place chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on medium, stirring every minute with a metal spoon, for 2-4 minutes until melted
- Stir in Tia Maria and 1/3 cup sugar. Set aside to cool slightly
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Beat egg yolks one at a time into cooled chocolate mixture. Add ground almonds and sift over the flour. Gently fold until combined
- Using electric hand beaters, beat egg whites in a large bowl until stiff peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1/3 cup sugar
- Using a metal spoon, fold a large spoonful of egg whites into chocolate mixture
- Fold through half the remaining egg whites. Sprinkle over 2 cups frozen berries. Add remaining egg whites and gently mix until just combined (breaking up any clumps of berries). Pour mixture into prepared pan
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until cake has risen and is firm to touch. Remove from oven and cool cake completely in pan
- To serve, carefully transfer cake to a serving plate or board. Dust with cocoa or icing sugar. Top with berry compote and cream or ice-cream
- Place frozen berries and sugar into a small saucepan over medium heat
- Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, and cook for 2 minutes. Cool slightly
- Place into an airtight container and chill until ready to serve
Tips & Hints:
- Expect the cake to sink on cooling because of the small amount of flour used (this gives the cake its lovely fudgy texture).
- Make the cake a day in advance. Once totally cooled, cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. Remove from fridge, transfer to a serving plate and bring to room temperature. Dust with cocoa or icing sugar and serve.
- Pick out the largest berries from the box and use for the compote.
More Desserts recipes from Creative Gourmet
No reviews for this recipe yet.