Recipe Shopping List
Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls
- Steam cabbage leaves and set aside to cool (see tips). Heat oil in a large deep pan and cook onion, garlic and mushroom for 3 minutes. Add carrot and zucchini and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes or until softened. Transfer to a bowl and cool slightly
- Add unheated 7 ancient grains sachet and eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Add 2 tbsp of condensed tomato soup to the mixture and mix well. Set aside
- Transfer steamed cabbage to a chopping board and pat dry with paper towel. Cut out thick centre vein from each cabbage leaf. Spoon 2 heaped tbsp of mixture along the base of the leaf. Roll up cabbage leaf, folding in sides, to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining leaves and filling
- Add condensed tomato soup and stock to a large deep pan. Bring to a simmer and nestle cabbage rolls in the sauce in a single layer. Cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes
- Garnish with basil and serve with mashed potato and crusty bread
Tips & Hints:
- We used Coles 7 Ancient Grains. Use any type of microwave rice if it's not available.
- To steam cabbage leaves: separate leaves by cutting out the core from the base of the whole cabbage. Ease away the leaves and separate. Place into a large microwave-safe bowl and add 2 tbsp water. Cover with cling film and cook on High (1000 watts) for 5 mins. Stand for a few minutes to finish cooking and cool slightly. Be careful as steam will burn. Alternatively, dip cabbage leaves into a large pan of boiling water for 1 minute. Place directly into a colander and rinse under cold water. Pat dry before using.
- Both green and savoy cabbage will work for this recipe.
No reviews for this recipe yet.