24 popular taco toppings for your taco bar
These taco toppings and tips will take you to Tex-Mex taco heaven. Your first decision is between a crisp taco shell or soft tortilla as your blank canvas, then start piling up any combo of the following ingredients to make your ideal bite.
- Most tacos start with a base of meat (but there are plenty of vegetarian options too, check them out below).
- Beef mince, steak, shredded chicken, pork, fish and even prawns are quick options.
- Enjoy a richer taco by using slow cooked beef or pulled pork.
- Don’t forget to cook your meat with taco seasoning to get that Mexican spice rolling!
- Add these veggies to bulk up your tacos, or use them as a vegetarian substitute for meat.
- Black beans or beans and rice are a firm favourite.
- Cauliflower is another popular choice, bake the florets for a healthy option or fry them in batter for that crunch factor.
- Mushrooms can provide a great meaty bite.
- Try combining your favourite veggies like roast pumpkin, sweet potato, capsicum, zucchini and corn.
- Don’t use any old cheese, the right cheese with luxurious melt and fantastic flavour makes all the difference!
- Perfect Italiano’s Mexican Style Cheese is a blend of Mozzarella, Red Cheddar and Colby that melts quickly and has a flavour that elevates Mexican food.
- Pile it right on the top of the piping hot meat so it melts into cheesy nirvana, or make these baked chicken tacos for the ultimate cheese stretch.
- Tomato salsa is the most famous choice, choose between a fresh salsa or your favourite jarred option.
- Try corn salsa by combining corn kernels with finely chopped onion, coriander, tomato, lime juice and salt.
- Salsa verde or green salsa is great for those who like it a bit tangier.
- Customise your heat level here by choosing mild or hot salsa, or adding more or less chilli.
- Try lettuce, cabbage (red or green), baby spinach or mixed salad greens.
- Choose smaller leaves, or shred your chosen greens so they sit nicely in your tacos.
- This creamy condiment provides just the right balance to all the spicy and bold flavours in your taco. If you don’t have sour cream, you could use Greek yoghurt in a pinch.
- Mash it, dice it or turn it into guacamole.
- For an easy guacamole, mix avocado with finely chopped onion, lime juice, coriander and lots of salt.
- Coriander is a Mexican staple. Coarsely chop the leaves to add freshness to your tacos.
- Green onion, finely slice and sprinkle away.
- Finely sliced red onion adds colour and flavour. Soak in water to take away some of the bite.
- Lime wedges add another dimension of tanginess.
More Mexican ideas
Now you know how to mix and match ingredients to build the ultimate tacos, check out more Mexican ideas below! If you love Mexican flavours you're sure to find something to pique your interest.
Get the recipe: Baked Mexican Chicken Tacos
Take your cheesy tacos to the next level with these crispy baked chicken tacos. They're filled with easy shredded chicken and Perfect Italiano Mexican Style Cheese, then baked to melted and golden deliciousness.
Get the recipe: Family Nachos Tray Bake
Top this cheesy, crunchy nachos tray bake with some of the other ingredients above to tailor it to your family's favourite flavours.
Perfect Italiano is a contributing recipe partner at myfoodbook.com.au. This feature includes a mix of content sourced from Perfect Italiano and our own opinions. You can find out more about the full range of Perfect Italiano Cheese here.