How to cook crispy duck breast
One of the best ways to enjoy duck breast is with golden, crispy skin and a tender, slightly pink centre. It’s easy to achieve this on the stove top, these pointers will help you to get perfectly cooked duck breast.
How to get crispy skin on duck breast
- To ensure even cooking, take the duck out of the fridge 20 minutes before cooking.
- One secret to crisp skin and golden colour is making sure the duck is nice and dry. Pat all over with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Score the skin if you like. It can help the fat render and it looks attractive, but it’s optional. Use a sharp knife to cut through the skin and the fat in equally distanced incisions. Don’t cut down into the meat.
- Drizzle the duck with a small amount of oil. This is optional as duck has a lot of fat.
- Season generously with salt.
- Heat the pan over medium heat. Allow the pan to preheat for at least 5 minutes to get evenly heated and very hot.
- Add the duck breast, skin side down. You should hear a good searing sound as it hits the pan. Don’t be tempted to move or turn it for a good 4-5 minutes. After about 4 minutes, lift the side to check the colour and crispness. The duck will be ready to turn when it is an even, deep golden colour and the fat has started to render out. Once the skin is golden, turn it over and cook for a further two minutes for medium-rare. If you prefer it medium or well-done, give it an extra one to two minutes.
- Remove from the pan and let the duck rest for at least 10 minutes. This step is important as it allows the juices to settle and reabsorb into the flesh. This makes slicing a lot easier, and more importantly produces a juicy succulent result.
Now you know how to get crispy skin on duck, try these duck recipes including Thai Red Duck Curry and duck pancakes.
Full of thick slices of duck breast and tangy slices of pineapple, this dish is just like from a restaurant!
More Tips & Advice
How to stop your pizza base from going soggy
Discover how to get a crispy pizza base in your oven at home. If you're wondering why your pizza is soggy want to know how to stop it from getting soggy and soft, follow these easy tips and you'll have perfect crispy homemade pizza crust every time.
How to slow cook chicken: Oven vs. slow cooker
Learn how to cook succulent slow cooked chicken, whether it's in the oven or in a slow cooker. These tips and recipes will help you cook perfect slow cooked chicken for dinner!
How to make lemon curd – tips and mistakes
Learn how to make an easy lemon curd recipe with just 5 ingredients. Get all the tips and tricks to ensure you always end up with a vibrant, silky and perfectly tangy curd every time.