Unique watermelon recipes
"Watermelon. Watermelon. I love, you love, watermelon." It's the ultimate summer fruit. But our relationship with watermelon has now blossomed into something far more fruitful than a simple slice. If you're wondering what to do with watermelon beyond carving it into crisp triangles as a summer snack, try these unique watermelon recipes. They're great for school holiday food. Plus check out how to freeze watermelon with our step by step video.
When is watermelon in season?
Although at a push you can probably find watermelon in green grocers during most of the year. Spring and summer are unsurprisingly the peak times to buy and eat watermelon. So sweet, juicy and refreshing.
How to cut watermelon
- Cut the whole watermelon into quarters.
- Working with one quarter at a time, cut the melon into 2cm-wide slices.
- Lay individual pieces of watermelon on their flat side.
- Cut away the green rind carefully by drawing the knife close to the white rind.
- Chop melon into 1cm cubes and enjoy.
What's the best way to store watermelon?
Watermelon should be stored in the fridge. Once cut, wrap the cut side tightly with plastic wrap. Alternatively you can store cut pieces of melon in an airtight container in the fridge.