Recipe Shopping List
Egg and Bacon Picnic Pie
- Combine the flour, salt and Fairy in the bowl of a food processor and process until it just resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and water and process until dough just starts to come together. Do not over process. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until smooth. Flatten into a 20cm disc, wrap and chill for 90 minutes.
- Grease a 22cm spring-form pan. Roll out the dough into a circle about 36cm diameter. Press the pastry into the pan, ensuring the pastry comes to the top of the pan, trim any excess pastry, gather into a ball, wrap and chill. Prick the pastry case with a fork, cover and chill for 90 minutes.
- Line the pastry case with baking paper, ensure the paper comes up the sides of the pan and weight down with a bag of dried penne pasta or beans. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C/160°C fan-forced and cook for a further 10 minutes. Cool and remove the paper and pasta or beans.
Bacon and Egg Filling
- Melt the Fairy in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the leek, thyme and bacon and cook for 6-8 minutes or until the leek is softened. Season with black pepper, cool slightly.
- Increase oven temperature to 200°C/180°C fan-forced. Scatter the bacon and leek over the base of pastry case. Whisk 2 eggs and the reserved egg white with the sour cream, stir through the tasty cheese and pour over the bacon mixture. Make small indentations in the bacon mixture and carefully crack the remaining 7 eggs into the indentations. Top with the remaining cheeses.
- Coarsely grate the reserved chilled pastry over the top. Place onto an oven tray and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 180°C /160°C fan-forced and bake for a further 30 minutes or until golden and eggs are cooked through. Scatter over the extra thyme and serve warm or cold with a rocket leaves.