Recipe Shopping List
Vanilla Layer Cake with Passionfruit Curd
- To make curd, whisk yolks, sugar and cornflour in a medium saucepan until combined. Whisk in juice, passionfruit pulp and water. Whisk constantly over a medium heat until boiling and thickened. Remove from heat. Whisk in Fairy margarine, until thick and glossy. Transfer to a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold
Tips & Hints:
- You will need approx. 6 passionfruit for this recipe. Curd will last for up to one week in the fridge.
- Makes 1 ½ cups of passionfruit curd.
- You can replace fresh passionfruit pulp with the same amount of canned passionfruit pulp, available in 170g cans at supermarkets. The canned pulp contains sugar, so if the resulting curd is too sweet, increase the lemon juice by 1-2 tsp or to taste. Extra pulp can be frozen in a ziplock bag for 3 months.
- Preheat oven 180°C/160°C (fan forced) and grease a 20cm round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges
- Beat Fairy margarine, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl of an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined. Mixture may look curdled at this stage
- Add milk and sifted flour, in two batches, folding until combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Smooth over top
- Cook 45-50 minutes, or until lightly golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove. Stand in pan 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool
- Beat cream, sugar and vanilla in a clean bowl of electric mixer until soft peaks form
- Split cake in half horizontally. Spread base of cake with half the cream then spoon over ½ cup of the passionfruit curd. Sandwich with remaining cake. Repeat with remaining cream and curd
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut chips. Serve with remaining passionfruit curd
No reviews for this recipe yet.
Related: Cake Curd Baking Desserts Australia Day Baby and Bridal Showers Birthday Christmas Dinner Party Father's Day Mother's Day New Year's Eve / Day Party Picnic Valentine's Day Wedding Australian Caster sugar Cornflour Eggs icing sugar mixture Lemon juice Margarine Milk Passionfruit self-raising flour Thickened Cream vanilla extract Passionfruit pulp coconut chips Lemons Canned Passionfruit