How to toast coconut in the oven, stove or microwave
Watch how to toast coconut
How to toast coconut in a pan on the stove
- Choose a frypan with a large surface area so you can spread the coconut out thinly.
- Use a medium-low heat so you can easily control the browning.
- Constantly stir and shake the coconut to give it even colour.
- Once golden, remove coconut from the pan and let cool. Do not leave it in the pan even with the heat turned off, as it will continue to toast and could burn.
How to toast coconut in the microwave
- Choose a large microwave safe plate and spread the coconut out as thinly as possible.
- Microwave on high in one minute intervals, tossing with a spoon every minute. Repeat for a total of 4-5 minutes.
- Once coconut has reached your desired colour, remove from microwave and let cool.
How to toast coconut in the oven
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a large baking sheet.
- Spread the coconut out thinly on baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once coconut is golden, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
How to store toasted coconut
How to use desiccated coconut
Toasted desiccated coconut can be used as a decoration on baked goods, sprinkled over muesli or breakfast oats, stirred through coconut rice for a crunchy texture or used in these recipes with desiccated coconut. Check out the recipes below and get cooking today!
Get the recipe: Anzac Caramel Slice
The classic flavours of an Anzac biscuit are given a twist in this caramel slice. Full of coconut, oats, golden syrup and a layer of condensed milk caramel, this slice is irresistible!
Get the recipe: Crackle Banoffee Pie
A touch of coconut in this crunchy banoffee pie base adds an extra dimension of flavour. Coconut lovers can sprinkle toasted coconut on top too for a lovely golden garnish.