Recipe Shopping List
Coconut Snow Macarons
- Process the icing sugar and ground almonds in a food processor until very finely ground. Sift the mixture, discarding any leftovers
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, gradually add sugar, beating well between each addition until sugar has dissolved and mixture is glossy. Vigorously stir in the nut mixture, coconut and coconut essence in batches
- Use a piping bag with a small (2cm) plain nozzle, pipe 36 x 4cm circles of the mixture onto baking paper lined trays. Sprinkle with extra coconut. Stand the trays at room temperature for 1 hour, to form a glossy crust. Bake at 150°C for 15-16 minutes, until firm. Cool completely before carefully removing from trays using a fine spatula
- For the filling, bring cream and butter to a gentle simmer in a small saucepan, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until smooth and glossy. Transfer to a clean bowl, cool and refrigerate until completely cold and thick (approximately 2-3 hours). Sandwich macaron shells together with chocolate and dust with icing sugar before serving
Tips & Hints:
- Standing time is important to ensure a crust forms on the macarons. This helps to creates the 'feet' on the macarons as they rise. Use milk chocolate in the filling for a more sweet and mild flavour, or dark chocolate for something more decadent. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
No reviews for this recipe yet.