Recipe Shopping List
Creamy Eggnog Ice Cream
- Heat cream, milk, bourbon and spices together in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until mixture just comes to the boil, stirring occasionally. Set aside for 10 minutes to infuse the flavours. Remove and discard cinnamon quill
- Meanwhile, beat egg yolks, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl with electric beaters until pale in colour and thickened. Mixture should fall in thick ribbons when lifted with the beaters. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the warmed cream mixture
- Pour egg yolk mixture into the saucepan containing the warmed cream and heat over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 10-12 minutes or until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Ensure that it doesn’t boil
- Remove pan from the heat and strain through a fine mesh sieve into a heatproof bowl. Cover the surface of the custard with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or overnight until very cold
- Churn cold custard in an ice cream machine according to manufacturers’ instructions. Spoon into a clean container and cover the surface with cling film. Freeze 3-4 hours or for best results overnight
- Remove ice cream from freezer 5-10 minutes before serving. Scoop with a heated spoon or ice cream scoop and serve topped with chopped pecans and ground cinnamon. Arrange cone shards into bowls and serve immediately
Tips & Hints:
- Homemade ice cream freezes harder than commercial ice cream. Remove from freezer 5 minutes before scooping to allow it to soften slightly.
- Homemade ice cream is best eaten within 4-5 days and must be stored at minus 18°C or in the coldest section of the freezer.
- To chill down warm custard quickly, place bowl containing warm custard into a larger bowl filled with ice. Stir occasionally until mixture is cold.
- For best results, only churn very cold custard.
- If you don't have an ice cream machine, place the cold custard mixture into a deep stainless steel baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 45 minutes. As it begins to freeze near the edges, remove it from the freezer and whisk vigorously with a sturdy balloon whisk or hand held mixer. Return to the freezer. Continue to check the mixture every 30 minutes, whisking vigorously as it’s freezing. Repeat this process for 2 to 3 hours, or until it forms a soft serve consistency. Use immediately or freeze overnight.
Per adult serving (78g)
Per adult serving (78g)
No reviews for this recipe yet.