Recipe Shopping List
Old Fashioned Barley and Vegetable Soup
- For best results use the KitchenAid® Food Processor.
- Place the barley into a microwave safe bowl, cover with boiling water. Cover with plastic wrap and cook 10 minutes on high or until the water is absorbed and the barley is par-cooked.
- Meanwhile, attach the thick slicing disc to the food processor. With the motor running add the garlic, onion, celery and carrots. Remove from the bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the sliced vegetables and saute 8 minutes. Re-attach the slicing disc and cover. Start the processor and add the parsnips, potatoes and broccoli. Remove and set aside.
- Add the stock, par-cooked barley, parsnips and potatoes to the sauteed softened onion mixture. Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until all vegetables are just tender.
- Add the tomatoes, broccoli and season well with salt and pepper. Cover and cook about 7 minutes or until broccoli is just tender. Stir in fresh herbs just before serving.
No reviews for this recipe yet.