Veggie-packed pizza recipes
Are you looking for ways to eat more veggies in a tasty, enjoyable way? If you're anything like us, the idea of eating an extra plate of plain steamed greens doesn't exactly get your appetite going... But you know what does get us going? Pizza!
This is how to create veggie packed pizzas, from a tasty cauliflower base to yummy vegetable topping combos, it's a great way to get more veg into your diet and even get your kids to eat more veggies.
How to get more veggies into your pizza
Finding weeknight dinner recipes that are packed with veggies and that everyone will eat can sometimes be a challenge.
Except for pizza nights! You're almost always guaranteed clean plates when pizzas are on the menu. If that's the case in your fam too, then why not pack your pizzas with loads of tasty veg? Here are a few ways you can do that and get your children eating more veg:
- Hide veg in the pizza sauce: Sure you can put veg on top of the pizza, but why not take it a step further and hide it in the sauce. Puree vegetables such as onion, garlic, carrot, zucchini and mushrooms and cook them down into a yummy tomato pizza sauce. Make a big batch and freeze it in easy to use portions for spreading on pizza. They'll be none the wiser!
- Choose your own toppings: A great way to get children to incorporate veg into a meal is to get them to help prep and even make the pizzas themselves. You'll be surprised that as they're cutting the cherry tomatoes into halves for the pizza or chopping capsicum, a few will disappear into their mouths.
How to get more veg into your diet
Maybe you're a meat lovers pizza fan, or love the purity of a margherita. Well if you're committed to getting more veg into your diet, turn treat nights like pizza nights into a way of treating yourself to more veg. As well as stealing the veggie packed pizza sauce idea from above, here are a couple of ways you can add more veg to pizza.
- Slice fresh tomatoes and add them to the pizza along with the pizza sauce.
- Top your pizza of choice with baby rocket leaves.
- Go gourmet with fancier toppings like roast pumpkin and pine nuts.
- Use antipasti such as marinated capsicum, zucchini and artichokes.
- Make a cauliflower pizza base.
If you're keen to make pizza night an all-in affair, or perhaps you have a member of the family who has special dietary requirements, check out this article on Pizza Recipes Everyone Can Eat
These pizza scrolls are a great way to get more vegetables into what your kids are eating.
Making homemade pizza dough is great because you can get as creative as you like with the toppings. Check out below for some great veggie combos that taste amazing on pizza.
This cauliflower pizza dough has lots of great flavour thanks to the addition of parmesan, once you try it you'll be hooked!