Old-fashioned savoury mince recipe
Savoury mince is a dinner-time saviour in households across Australia. Easy to batch cook, freeze, and super versatile, it's an ideal recipe for any busy lifestyle. Learn how to make it the old-fashioned way with beef mince, veggies and tomato sauce, the best way to freeze it and 5 ingenious ways to enjoy it.
Savoury mince recipe
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 35 minutes
- Makes: 3 batches of Savoury Mince
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1kg organic beef mince
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- ½ cup (125ml) Rosella Organic Tomato Sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1½ cups (375ml) organic beef stock
- 1 x 300g canned corn kernels, drained
- 200g green beans, ends trimmed and diced
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes to soften.
- Add mince and cook, stirring and breaking up lumps until brown and crumbly. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Add carrot and stir through.
- Stir in tomato sauce, mustard, soy sauce and beef stock and mix well. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add corn and beans and cook for a further 10 minutes, uncovered. Remove and let cool before freezing (see tips below).
Get the recipe you can save to your myfoodbook cookbooks here: Savoury Mince
How to freeze savoury mince
Savoury mince freezes well for up to 2 months. This recipe is ideal for freezing because it makes 3 batches of mince that serve 4, or 12 servings in total. Follow the steps to freeze:
- Let cool completely. Divide into individual or family serving sizes.
- Place into airtight containers or zip lock bags.
- Label and freeze for up to 2 months.
How to use savoury mince
1. Cottage Pie
One of the simplest ways to use savoury mince is to turn it into cottage pie. Top it with mashed potato and pop it back in the oven at 200°C for 20 minutes or until golden. Or, you can simply make mash and serve the mince on top. Add some cheese to the mash for an extra tasty meal.
2. Stuffed Mushrooms
Fill portabella mushrooms with savoury mince, top with cheese and bake until golden and bubbling. This is a lower-carb option that's super easy and flavourful.
3. Savoury Mince Pie-Maker Pies
Pull out the pie maker, thaw some puff pastry and whip up some great little pies using this mince mix! It's thick and saucy enough that you don't need to do any other tweaking or thickening - it's ready to go right into the pie maker.
4. Savoury Mince Pasta
You could easily use this mince mixture to make lasagne. Layer it with bechamel, mozzarella and pasta sheets, then bake at 200°C for 45-60 minutes or until pasta is cooked through.
To make a savoury mince pasta bake: cook four servings of pasta, mix with a batch of savoury mince and 1½ cups of grated cheese. Place in a baking dish and top with another ½ cup cheese, then bake at 200°C for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling. Or, simply cook 4 servings of your favourite pasta shape and toss with savoury mince to finish.
5. Sloppy Joes
Fill a burger bun with your favourite toppings and swap out the patty for a serve of mince. Or for something similar but a bit more refined, top a thick slice of sourdough with slices of fresh tomato then mince. Top with cheese and grill until golden and bubbly. This is ideal as a snack or light lunch too.
A batch of savoury mince in the freezer makes dinner time so easy! For more easy dinner ideas, check out the recipes below.
More easy dinner recipes
Bangers and mash is another classic Aussie dinner, and this version turns it into a saucy cottage pie.
One pan = easy clean-up! Full of rich spices and chunks of chicken and chorizo, this meal will make the family happy.
More Tips & Advice from Rosella
The secret to crispy pork crackling
These four simple steps will lead you to crispy crackling on your pork roasts every time.
How to slow cook brisket
This is how to slow cook brisket to turn it from a tough cut of meat into a soft and tender meal that melts in your mouth. Get the tips and recipes on myfoodbook.
How to make apricot chicken with canned apricots
How to make Apricot Chicken in One Pan: A retro recipe with all you need tips and tricks.
Rosella brings back their Organic BBQ Sauce
Renowned Australian brand Rosella has has brought back their Organic BBQ Sauce alongside their Organic Tomato Sauce and Sweet Chilli Sauce! Learn more and get great organic recipes to cook with them. Find them at Woolworths and at Independent Groceries around Australia.