What can you do with ricotta cheese?
Creamy ricotta cheese. It's the hidden gem that should be pride of place in any fridge. A lighter alternative to heavier creams and cheeses, ricotta has a smooth and creamy consistency that works so well in cooking. So what can you do with ricotta cheese? Here's a few easy ideas and delicious recipes.
5 simple ways to use ricotta
- Omelette: Whisk 2 eggs, then fold in about a tablespoon of ricotta. Season with with salt and pepper. Pour into a pan and just before it's set, scatter over sauteed garlic mushrooms. Cook until set then fold in half and serve scattered with chives.
- Cheat's white sauce: Whisk a 500g tub ricotta, 2 tbsp sour cream and 1 egg in a jug and season with salt and pepper. Use it in a quick and easy cheat's lasagne or other baked pasta dishes.
- Easy baked ricotta: Simply stir 1 egg into a 250g tub of ricotta. Transfer to a ramekin or baking dish and bake in the oven preheated to 180°C/160°C fan forced for about 20 minutes or until firm. Enjoy with crackers, a drizzle of honey, dried fruits or vegetable sticks.
- As a spread: Toast slices of banana bread or fruit toast, spread with ricotta and drizzle with honey for a snack or brekky.
- Finger food pasties: Ricotta and spinach are a match made in heaven. Combine a 500g tub of ricotta with chopped, blanched spinach and season with salt and pepper. Wrap in rectangles of ready-rolled puff pastry and bake to make an easy appetiser.
Recipes with ricotta
Check out some more great ricotta recipes below.
Ricotta plays a starring role in this delicious Chicken Involtini recipe. Popular in Italy for a good reason, this easy-to-make Involtini is perfect for a satisfying family dinner.
Spinach is perfectly paired with ricotta and roast pumpkin in these plum stuffed pasta shells. It might take a little bit of effort upfront but the resulting dish is sensational. You'll make it again and again.
Whether you're looking for a delicious breakfast, a tasty brunch dish, or a satisfying lunch option, these fritters are sure to impress with their nutritious combination of flavours and textures.
More Tips & Advice from Perfect Italiano
The magic of homemade Pesto: From Classic Basil to vibrant Broccoli
When it comes to versatile and flavoursome sauces, few can match the enchanting allure of pesto.
Cooking with Parmesan
Practical tips on incorporating Parmesan cheese into everyday recipes. From pasta to salads, these easy-to-follow ideas and recipes will add that extra flavour to your meals that everyone will love.
How to make Mexican pulled pork
Learn how to make Mexican pulled pork and how to use it in tacos, as well as other ideas like nachos, burritos and quesadillas.