Why does my cake have a dome?
Does your cake have a dome, hump or bump? Find out why it has a dome, and how you can avoid this to get a nice flat cake every time. If you want to know how to fix a domed cake that you've already baked, we have tips for that too!
A cake may have a dome for two reasons:
- The cake pan is heating up much faster than the rest of the cake. This causes the edges to set before the cake has risen fully, and as the rest of the cake cooks the centre rises and creates a dome. To stop your cake from doming, line the outsides of your cake tin with a double layer of foil. Simply take long strips of foil, fold them to the height of your cake pan and wrap around the outside. The extra foil slows down the heating of the pan, so the cake batter at the edges won’t cook as quickly.
- The cake tin is too small. This will cause your cake to dome and crack. Use a cake pan that matches what is stated in the recipe, or switch to a larger pan.
How do I fix my cake with a dome?
- If your cake has a dome it is still completely fine to eat and you can enjoy it as is.
- If you need a flat cake, wait until it is fully cooled then slice off the dome using a long serrated knife. Decorate the cake with icing.
- Alternatively, if you are making a layer cake, flip the top layer of cake so the flat bottom is facing up. This will only work if the dome isn't too high. Decorate with icing and your cake will appear nice and even.
- Now you know how to bake a perfectly flat cake, why not try one of the cake recipes below?
This wholesome, not-too-sweet cake is so perfect for afternoon tea with a cuppa.
This classic vanilla cake can be layered with your favourite toppings. In this recipe it's stacked with passionfruit curd, whipped cream and coconut flakes.
The avocado in this pound cake gives it a stunning colour and perfectly tender crumb.
More Tips & Advice
11 easy tips for a fluffy sponge cake
Learn how to make an amazing fluffy and moist sponge cake with these 11 easy tips! From how to prepare the cake pans to what temperature to serve your sponge cake, you'll have all the essential know-how for a spectacular sponge cake.
How to make the best Butter Cake
Learn how to make the best traditional butter cake using just six simple ingredients. This recipe and tips will ensure you always bake a beautiful light, moist and delicious butter cake.
How to make pink jelly cakes
Learn how to make pink jelly cakes from scratch! Get the recipe, watch how to do it plus get extra tips to help you make this easy, but impressive party recipe.