Recipe Shopping List
- Pre heat the oven to 170C.
- Toast the dried chillies (if using) on one side of a large heavy-based casserole pan over medium heat until puffed and lightly browned (about 5 minutes). In the same pan add the whole tomatoes and onion on the other side blacken slightly. Remove.
- Heat oil in the pan over high heat and add the shanks season with salt and pepper. Once browned all over add the dried toasted chillies, torn and chipotle, blackened tomatoes and onions, garlic, coriander root, oregano and cumin seeds. Deglaze with vinegar then add orange juice and stock. Bring to the boil then cover with lid and cook in the oven for 2 hours or until meats fall easily away from bone. Cool to room temperature, then chill in the pan, in the fridge overnight.
- The next day the fat will have solidify on the top. Scoop fat off and place a few tablespoons into a large pan.
- Return pan to the heat and warm through until shanks are hot. Shred the meat off the bones and discard bones.
- Make the salsa.
- Place some cheese and shredded meat onto each tortilla. Fold over to sandwich and fry in the lamb fat for a minute on each side until crispy. Serve with salsa and broth on the side (so you can dip the taco into the broth).
- To make the salsa, combine ingredients together with a pinch of salt and the reserved coriander leaves.
Justine Schofield is one of Australia’s most recognisable culinary faces, having forged a reputation as a simple and elegant cook. Justine's deliciously simple recipes for comforting winter dishes are made using La Banderita’s deliciously authentic products including tacos, fajitas and tortillas in all sizes. See more La Banderita Recipes by Celebrity Chef Justine Schofield on LaBanderita.Tv
No reviews for this recipe yet.