Recipe Shopping List
Lemon Butter Bars
Lemon Butter Filling
- Combine eggs, sugar, rind and juice in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Cook, whisking, for 3 minutes or until sugar has dissolved
- Gradually add the butter, one or two cubes at a time, whisking continuously. Remove from heat. Whisk in cornflour. Set aside to cool slightly while making the base
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C (fan-forced) and grease a 20cm square cake tin. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 2cm above pan edges
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Mixture will look curdled at this point
- Add coconut and flour and beat on low speed until combined. Spoon into the base of the prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula or back of a spoon. Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden. Remove from oven
- Pour over warm lemon butter filling. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until set. Remove. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until firm
- To serve, dust with icing sugar and slice into bars with a hot knife
Tips & Hints:
- Slicing with a hot knife is key as the lemon butter sticks to the knife. Dip knife in hot water and dry with a tea towel before slicing. This gives a lovely straight edge.
- Store bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Related: Dessert Slice Lemon Slice Slices Treats Baking Desserts Baby and Bridal Showers Birthday Dinner Party Holidays Mother's Day Party Picnic Spring Summer Australian Caster sugar lemon rind Lemons Lemon juice egg yolks Eggs unsalted cultured butter vanilla extract Desiccated coconut Plain flour icing sugar mixture Butter