Recipe Shopping List
Homemade Indian Roti
- Place flours, salt and oil into a large mixing bowl
- Add ¾ of the water and bring dough together with your hands. Keep adding water and kneading until it forms a soft dough
- Tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and pliable. Cover and set aside to rest for 30 minutes
- Roll dough into a log shape. Divide into 8 and roll out each ball of dough as thin as possible
- Heat a frying pan over high heat for 5 minutes until very hot. Cook one roti at a time for 1-2 minutes. Turn over when dark brown spots appear, and bread begins to puff up
- Transfer to a plate and brush with melted ghee. Cover and continue cooking remaining roti
Tips & Hints:
- Keep cooked roti covered in foil or wrap in a clean tea towel while cooking remaining portions. This will prevent them from drying out and becoming hard
- To make ahead, place cooked roti inside a ziplock bag and refrigerate or freeze. Remove from bag and reheat in microwave for 60 secs or flash each one in a hot frying pan until warmed through.
- Cast iron pans are ideal for making roti. Non-stick pans are also suitable
Latest recipes from Passage to India
No reviews for this recipe yet.