How to make your burger low carb
Who can resist a good burger? Especially in the summertime, when burgers are so quick and easy to whip up on the barbie. With these easy tips you can enjoy a flavourful low-carb burger.
What can I use instead of a bun for a burger?
Traditional buns are high in carbs, so switch it out for one of these options:
- Try burgers with a mushroom “bun” for a tasty change.
- Find low carb buns made from almond meal and psyllium or cauliflower in your supermarket.
- Use a large iceberg lettuce leaf to wrap around your patty.
Check your meat patty
Store bought burger patties often have breadcrumbs or other fillers that are high in carbohydrates. Instead, look for ones labelled keto or make your own. If making your own, use quality mince that contains at least 20% fat. Fat gives flavour, keeps the patty moist and helps it bond together so you don’t need to add breadcrumbs. Or, skip the mince completely and use steaks, chicken or fish fillets instead. Don't forget to add dried herbs and spices or low carb sauces for extra flavour.
Low carb sauces
Sauces can contain a lot of sugar and therefore carbs. Whether adding sauce to flavour your patties or to the burger, choose low carb and low sugar sauce options from the supermarket.
Low carb burger toppings
Create more layers of flavour with these low carb topping ideas:
- Crispy bacon
- Slices of avocado
- Whole fried egg
- Low carb versions of your favourite sauce such as tomato and BBQ sauce
- Mayonnaise flavoured with garlic or fresh herbs. Try adding wasabi or horseradish for an extra zingy sauce
- Low carb pickles. Alternatively, make your own pickles by marinating cucumbers in white vinegar and your favourite sugar substitute for 10 minutes
Low carb sides
Keep the whole meal low carb with these low carb side ideas.
- Kale chips: Toss pieces of kale in oil and salt, bake at 170 degrees for about 10 minutes to make crispy kale chips.
- Zucchini chips: Slice zucchini into thick cut chip size, toss zucchini in egg whites and coat with almond flour and parmesan cheese. Pan fry with a little oil until crisp.
- Serve with slaw dressed with vinaigrette or a dressing made with low carb mayonnaise.
Skip the guesswork
Take the easy road and click to get this great low carb burger recipe with smoky BBQ and a mushroom bun! With only 6.2g of carbs per serve, it's a fantastic option.
More low carb recipes
Check out more delicious low carb recipes below! Don't forget that you can save them to your eCookbooks using your free myfoodbook account. Why not create your own low carb cookbook today? Sign up here if you don't have an account yet!
This meatloaf not only packs in heaps of veggies, it only has 9.8g of carbs per serve.
So quick and easy, this one-pan stir fry is full of flavour but low in carbs, with 12.9g per serve.
More Tips & Advice
How to stack the perfect burger
Learn how to stack the perfect burger! When it comes to hamburgers, layering the ingredients in the right order means layers of flavour that are balanced both in taste and in structure. Find out how to assemble the perfect homemade burger.
How to make lemon curd – tips and mistakes
Learn how to make an easy lemon curd recipe with just 5 ingredients. Get all the tips and tricks to ensure you always end up with a vibrant, silky and perfectly tangy curd every time.
The secrets to making juicy burgers at home
What makes restaurant burgers so much juicier and more flavourful that homemade burgers? It turns out, the secret to juicy burgers is easier than you might think. Get the tips and recipes, and collect your favourite recipes in your personalised myfoodbook cookbooks!