Recipe Shopping List
Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Fruit Chutney
- Season flour with salt and pepper and coat the beef cubes
- Preheat a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Add 2 tbsp oil and brown the beef on all sides, in batches. Transfer to slow cooker
- In the same pan, heat remaining oil. Add onion, garlic and thyme. Cook, stirring often, over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until onion is tender. Stir in tomato paste. Add red wine. Bring to the boil
- Transfer onion mixture to the bowl of slow cooker. Add stock, carrots, celery and chutney
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours, or LOW for 7-8 hours. Top with chopped parsley. Serve with mashed potato and beans
Tips & Hints:
- To cook this recipe in the oven, preheat oven to 160°C/140°C (fan-forced). Follow recipe up to the end of step 3, using a large stovetop and ovenproof casserole. Add beef back to pot, cover and cook for 3 hours or until beef is tender. Top with chopped parsley and serve with mashed potatoes and beans.
- Baby carrots can be replaced with regular carrots cut into thick batons.
- This stew is great for batch cooking. Place portions into sealed containers. Label and freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and then warm in a low oven, on the stove or in the microwave.
Related: Stew Casserole beef Dinner Beef Sauces Meat Autumn Father's Day Weekends Winter Australian Slow Cooking Family Dinners Kid Friendly Australian Made baby carrots beef beef stock celery dry red wine Fruit Chutney Garlic Olive Oil Onions Parsley Plain flour Thyme tomato paste Rosella Chutney Rosella Fruit Chutney beef chuck Carrots