It’s time to start freezing your soups and stews
How to freeze soup or stew
- Cool the dish completely. Leave at room temperature for 30-60 minutes or until cooled.
- If there is any meat on the bone, remove bone and shred or cut up meat. Return to sauce.
- Portion out into serving sized containers, ensuring any solids are submerged in liquid. A good rule of thumb is 250mL to serve one person. 1 litre containers are convenient for families of four.
- Save room by ladling soups or stews into plastic freezer bags that you can lay flat in freezer. Freeze until solid on a tray, then stack them up.
- Label each container clearly with waterproof markers with the date and contents.
How to defrost
Place the containers or zip lock bags in the fridge to defrost, it can take up to 2 days depending on the size of the container. Reheat thoroughly in the microwave or on the stove top, adding a splash of water if needed.
How long can you freeze soup and stew?
What to avoid when freezing soups and stews
- Avoid freezing soups and stew containing cooked grains such as pasta and rice. These will tend to become mushy on thawing. Instead, keep them separate and make fresh rice or pasta to serve.
- Dishes containing cream, milk, yoghurt or coconut milk have a tendency to split once reheated. For best results, add any dairy once the food has been reheated. If your soup has already split, try putting it in the blender to smooth it out.
- Recipes thickened with cornstarch will become runny again once defrosted. Simply add more cornstarch slurry and bring to boil to rethicken your dish.
- Egg drop soups don't tend to fare well in the freezer. The egg can turn rubbery, leaving you with chewy strings rather than silky strands. Prepare your soup up to when you add the egg, then freeze. Add the egg once defrosted.
- Fresh greens such as green beans, bok choy and herbs will become soggy in the freezer. Wait to add these after you've reheated your dish.
Recipes for soups and stews
Get cooking with the recipes below! Follow the tips above and you'll have an easy meal waiting for you in the freezer.