Traditional Christmas Meal Plan
Enjoy all your favourite Christmas foods like roast pork, trifle and fruit mince tarts with this step-by-step meal plan.
This menu plan will serve 6-8 people. Please adjust recipes to accommodate your number of guests. To prepare to cook this menu, we recommend reading each recipe at least a week before Christmas.
Traditional Christmas Recipes
Traditional Christmas menu timeline
One week before Christmas
- Order meat, fresh produce and groceries for delivery or pick up on 21st of December.
- Order seafood for delivery or pick up on the 24th of December.
Tips: Refrigerate all fresh produce and chilled grocery items immediately. Click for tips for storing seafood. Click for tips for storing herbs.
Three days before Christmas (December 22nd)
- For the Devilled Eggs, boil eggs, cool and peel. Blanch asparagus and cool immediately in cold water. Drain well and store eggs and asparagus in an airtight container. Refrigerate.
- Make White Christmas. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Two days before Christmas (December 23rd)
- Make the chutney stuffing for Roast Pork. Refrigerate. Unroll the pork loin and salt the rind. Leave in refrigerator on a rack to air dry.
- Make Classic Buttery Mashed Potatoes. Cool and cover. Refrigerate.
- Make custard for Tipsy Eggnog Trifle. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Make Mini Fruit Mince Tarts. Allow to cool and store in an airtight container.
Christmas Eve (December 24th)
- Remove yolks from hard boiled eggs, mash with other ingredients. Refrigerate in an airtight container. Cook bacon until crisp. Drain well on paper towel and refrigerate in an airtight container.
- Stuff and roll pork roast. Tie with string. Return to refrigerator.
- If having Quick BBQ Prawns with Garlic and Chilli out of the shell, peel prawns, cover and refrigerate. If cooking them in shell, no prep required.
- Peel and prepare carrots for Honey Glazed Carrots. Toss with garlic, oil, honey and sage. Cover and refrigerate. Pick fresh watercress. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
- Assemble trifle. Omit cream and garnishes on the top. Cover and refrigerate.
- Cut White Christmas slice into portions. Return to refrigerator.
- Prepare foil balls and tray for Edible Cheese Board.
- Bring dough for Edible Cheese Board to room temperature. Roll out and bake with prepared tray. Set aside to cool. Just before serving, arrange toppings and remaining cheese over the top and serve.
- Line trays with rock salt and arrange oysters on top. Garnish with caviar, chives and lemons just before serving.
- Pipe filling into Devilled Eggs and serve with asparagus just before serving. Garnish with chives, bacon and smoked paprika.
- Bring pork to room temperature. Salt rind again and roast.
- Prepare fruit and add to oven in the last 30 minutes of cooking. Rest pork for 15 minutes before serving and carving.
- Barbecue prawns with garlic and chilli butter and serve.
- Reheat mash potatoes either in the oven, microwave or on the stove. Stir only 2-3 times to keep mash light and fluffy.
- Roast carrots 30 minutes before serving. Toss through butter and garnish with watercress just before serving.
- Garnish trifle with whipped cream, extra cherries and Lotus biscuits 30 minutes before serving.
- Remove white Christmas from refrigerator 30 minutes before serving. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Dust Mini Fruit Mince Tarts with icing sugar and serve.
More Christmas menu ideas
Want more Christmas ideas? Get more menus with prep timelines below:
- Seafood Christmas Menu Plan
- Budget Christmas Menu Plan
- Cocktail Party Menu Plan
- Make-ahead Christmas Menu Plan
(no votes yet)
More Tips & Advice
Traditional Menu Plan for Christmas
These traditional Christmas dinner ideas and menu timeline will make your day easy. With classic recipes like glazed ham, roast pork, gingerbread and white Christmas, your family will love it. We've outlined all the recipes and timeline, taking the stress out of organising Christmas day.
Traditional Christmas Menu Plan & Recipes
Need help planning your Christmas menu? This menu plan is for a traditional Christmas dinner with crispy pork, roasted beef, baked potatoes, Christmas pudding and more classic recipes. We've outlined all the recipes and timeline, taking the stress out of organising Christmas day.
Seafood Menu Plan for Christmas
Prepare a seafood lunch or dinner with ease using this Christmas menu plan! Get all the ideas and recipes including entrees, mains, sides and desserts, plus all the steps you need to prepare a stress free meal this summer. Get the recipes and save them to your myfoodbook cookbooks. You can create a cookbook, download and print it to make cooking your Christmas meal extra easy.
Healthy Christmas Menu Plan & Recipes
If you're trying to be healthier, this Christmas menu plan is for you. These healthy Christmas recipes are full of whole foods and better-for-you ingredients, plus we help you with all the steps to be prepared on Christmas day. Enjoy BBQ prawns, fresh salads and a raw food cheesecake with this healthy Christmas menu.