Healthy after school snacks
The ideal after school snack is quick, easy and nutritious. Here’s a quick list of 10 ideas plus lots more recipes that are quick and easy to make, or can be made ahead. These ideas will fend off the kids’ hunger and tide them over until dinner, or give them that quick energy boost before any extra-curricular activities.
9 healthy after school snacks
These snacks are full of nutritious and wholesome ingredients which help to keep you fuller for longer.
Tips for making snacks ahead
The above ideas are either quick and easy to make, or can be made ahead of time. Here’s what you can make ahead to be prepared in the after-school rush:
- Savoury slices and muffins can be stored in the fridge or freezer. Choose healthier muffin recipes that have whole grains, fruits or vegetables. Place in an airtight container in the fridge. If freezing, wrap individual portions in cling wrap. Defrost in fridge overnight. Warm in a 160°C oven for 10-15 minutes if desired.
- Slice veggies and fruit and keep them in airtight containers in the fridge. They will keep for about 5 days.
- Make your own granola and store in an airtight container in the pantry.
- Keep bliss balls fresher for longer by storing in the fridge. Depending on the recipe, bliss balls keep for up to two weeks in an airtight container.
- Make a tuna mix with canned tuna, mayonnaise, corn and finely chopped red onion. You can keep this in the fridge for 4-5 days to whip up an even quicker tuna melt or sandwich.
Healthy after school snack recipes
Check out lots of recipes and collections below full of healthy options for the kids:
More Tips & Advice
How to eat healthy in the new year
Need help eating healthy in the new year? These 3 easy steps will put you on track to eating healthy and feeling great.
How to make a healthy stir fry
Once you know how to make a healthy stir fry, you'll have easy, nutritious and delicious mid-week meals on the table in no time at all. Check out these top tips to make a healthy stir fry recipe at home.
School lunch ideas for picky eaters
Need some picky kid lunch ideas now they're going back to school? Give these healthy lunch box ideas a go to make sure your fussy eater gets the energy they need for the classroom and schoolyard.