The best way to store leftover canned tomato
If you don’t use the whole tin of tomatoes or bottle of passata, place in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to a week. Avoid keeping leftovers in the metal tin as the acidic tomatoes can react with the metal.
To freeze leftover canned tomatoes, place in labelled zip-lock bags or containers and freeze for up to 6 months. Use from frozen or defrost in the microwave for one or two minutes before adding to your cooking.
The best way to store leftover tomato paste
How to store leftover tomato paste in the fridge
- Place in an airtight container, evening out the surface of the tomato paste.
- Drizzle a layer of olive oil over the surface to prevent mould growth.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to a week. Tomato paste in tubes can be left in the tube and stored in the fridge for 6-7 weeks once open.
How to freeze tomato paste
- Portion into an ice cube tray and freeze.
- Pop out cubes of paste and place into zip-lock bags.
- Alternatively, freeze directly in zip-lock bags in usable portions.
Tomato paste can be used from frozen or defrosted. To defrost, place in the fridge overnight or microwave in 30 second intervals.
Make sure you always buy the
best quality canned tomatoes, then enjoy great recipes that use canned tomatoes below.